Tuesday, November 4, 2014
Introduction
~It all started in 2012. I met my husband, we started dating, and everything was great. Except one little detail. He lives in Australia and I live in New York. 12 hour time difference on Daylight Savings, 13 hours normal time. 12,000 miles between us. When you're 18 and someone you love says they love you, it doesn't seem so daunting... Until real life hits you. I'm not talking some Nicholas Sparks tragic realization. I'm talking about realizing that it takes only two hours to fly from where you live to Atlanta, a two day drive, yet it takes 24 hours to fly from where you live to where your boyfriend lives. When you realize that there is no definite time set that you will be together permanently. There still isn't. But, don't be misled. I am not starting this blog to cry about every hardship that we face. I am starting it to blog my daily life as a wife, and throw in some long distance relationship tips, too. Our timeline is this. We started dating and declared ourselves boyfriend and girlfriend July 26, 2012. We stayed strictly long distance until July 31, 2013. An entire year. After seeing each other in person again, we realized that we wanted to be married. Period. So, on August 19, 2013, my now husband asked me to be his wife. He was only on visa waiver, so he had to go home on October 25, 2013. Fast forward to August 15, 2014. He came again. We had no idea really what was going to happen relationship-wise when he flew into JFK that hot, muggy August night. All I knew was I was ecstatic to see my fiance again after nearly ten months apart. The time we were apart seems like a blur, probably my brain blocking out the sadness of being away from him. We enjoyed our first month together, not really expecting us to get married this time. But that changed when I decided to look up if we could actually get married. We could. I talked with some top rate immigration lawyers in the area, and we were told that it's totally fine to get married, as long as he returns home like planned and then I can apply for the spouse visa. So, on October 26, 2014, we got married! We went on our honeymoon to the Poconos, where we found out after we couldn't cancel our reservations that a cop killer was on the loose. That was a bit scary, but they found him while we were there, and we actually drove through a news reporter's video. I wasn't too worried though. So, here I am sitting writing this post. November 4. My husband leaves for his home in Australia on Sunday. And I'm not coming with him. It's bittersweet. I know that since he's leaving, I can now apply for the spouse visa. But how can I be happy when it means months without him again? I also deal with anxiety, and I always think the worst. I am so afraid when he flies. I'm afraid when he does anything, I guess. But I like to think that makes me a loving wife. The way a wife should feel when she says goodbye for now to her husband. Like I said before, though. This blog isn't going to revolve around the intricate dynamics of our long distance relationship. It's going to focus on my daily life. Recipes, DIY, etc. I HOPE you all enjoy!~Mrs. Bird~
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
YAY! So happy to be reading your blog!!
ReplyDeleteYay!
Delete