I had a reader ask for me to go into more detail about my cowashing routine. Like I'm pretty sure I stated before, when beginning cowashing, you should look for a silicone and sulfate free conditioner. I personally swear by Tresemme Naturals, however that may not work best for you. Shea Moisture (a 100% natural hair care line) makes a conditioner specifically for cowashing, and you can find it at some pharmacies or places like Target and Walmart. Sally's Beauty Supply sells it as well, along with other cowashes I've seen. You can usually find them in the "ethnic" hair care section, or the natural section. Suave Naturals also makes silicone free condish that I've actually never tried. Burt's bee's is another. If you are really looking to get into cowashing, look up "the curly girl method." This will bring up several sites that will really be a great place to gather information about how to go about cowashing, and what will probably work best for your hair type. Anyway, some of the silicones to look out for are cetearyl methicone, cetyl dimethicone, dimethicone, dimethiconol, stearyl dimethicone, amodimethicone, cyclomethicone/cyclopentasiloxane, trimethylsilylamodimethicone, behenoxy dimethicone, and stearoxy dimethicone. Don't be alarmed by methylisothiazolinone or methylchloroisothiazolinone. They are not silicones, but they are safe preservatives. Basically the sulfate you want to look for is anything that has "lauryl sulfate" in it. Most conditioners don't have sulfates in them, anyway, though. In addition to using conditioner to wash my hair, I use henna treatments to keep my hair healthy. By the way, if you are looking into Wen, don't use it! It's expensive, and creates build-up on my hair. It has also been linked to extreme hair loss in individuals that never previously experienced hair loss. I wouldn't ever trust my hair to it. It's much cheaper to just pick up a bottle of Tresemme, or Suave. Vo5 makes silicone free condish too, however I didn't like it as much as I like Tresemme. I hoped this helped, and if anyone has any other questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them in the comments below!
Thank you! This was really helpful! I think I'll try the tresemme.
ReplyDeleteAww you're so very welcome!
ReplyDelete